Monday, September 20, 2010

Poi and Meditation - from Elliot

I write -

I decided two weekends ago that meditation by staying perfectly still was not for me and that I would start using various forms of movement to give my mind a break. While I almost always do this at shows when I dance my ass off, I can't wait to do my own form of meditation with my poi.

Love to you as always all the way from the East Coast,
Leslie

Elliot writes -

poi is a great form of meditation. i've always found the same to be true with me... simply sitting and relaxing my mind in order to clear it isn't as effective for me as doing something. poi is an amazing tool for that, it's not like you really have to think too hard about what you're doing (unless you're trying to learn something new specifically) but gives your mind an outlet and something to lose focus on. for instance when i'm spinning i don't really think about the goings on of my life, other people, desires... anything. not even really what "move" or "trick" i'm doing... i let myself focus on the flow, and probably the most direct thoughts i have are about whether i'm pleased with the way it feels or disappointed. disappointed isn't really even the right word... it's more like i either like what i'm doing or what to try something different. the poi control themselves in a sense, they go where they want to with minimal interaction from you...

lol now that i got all profound and mysterious... i think you'll have much success using them for that purpose :)